Surfing in Barbados
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The best surfing is at Bathsheba Soup Bowl on the east coast, but the water here, on the windward (Atlantic Ocean) side of the island, is safe only for the most experienced surfers. Surfers also congregate at Surfer's Point, at the southern tip of Barbados near Inch Marlow, where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Caribbean Sea.
Barbados Surfing Association. The Independence Classic Surfing Championship (an international competition) is held at Bathsheba Soup Bowl every November—when the surf is at its peak. For information and a schedule of other events, contact the Barbados Surfing Association. Olympic Centre, Garfield Sobers Sports Complex, Wildey, St. Michael, BB15094. 246/826-7661. www.barbadossurfingassociation.org.
Dread or Dead Surf Shop. Dread or Dead Surf Shop promises to get beginners from "zero to standing up and surfing" in a single afternoon. The three-hour course—"or until you stand up or give up"—costs $75 per person and includes a board, wax, a rash guard (if necessary), a ride to and from the surf break, and instruction; additional lessons cost $50 for 2½ hours of water time and continual instruction. Intermediate or experienced surfers can rent boards for $50 per day. Hastings Main Rd., Hastings, Christ Church. 246/228-4785. www.dreadordead.com.
Zed's Surfing Adventures. Zed's Surfing Adventures rents surfboards, provides lessons, and offers surf tours—which include equipment, a guide, and transportation to surf breaks appropriate for your experience. Surfer's Point, Inch Marlow, Christ Church. 246/428-7873. www.barbadossurfholidays.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $117 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Stay Free BookIt.com
- $173 -- Barbados All-Inclusive Resort w/Air Credit, 55% Off Couples Barbados
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off — $99 Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas