Sea Excursions in Barbados
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mini-submarine voyages are enormously popular with families and those who enjoy watching fish but don't wish to snorkel or dive. Party boats depart from Bridgetown's Deep Water Harbour for sightseeing and snorkeling or romantic sunset cruises. Prices are $75 to $90 per person for daytime cruises and $60 to $85 for three-hour sunset cruises, depending on the type of refreshments and entertainment included; transportation to and from the dock is provided. For an excursion that may be less splashy in terms of a party atmosphere—but is definitely splashier in terms of the actual experience—turtle tours allow participants to feed and swim with a resident group of hawksbill and leatherback sea turtles.
Atlantis Submarine. The 48-passenger Atlantis Submarine turns the Caribbean into a giant aquarium. The 45-minute underwater voyage aboard the 50-foot submarine ($104 per person, including hotel transfers) takes you to wrecks and reefs as deep as 150 feet. Children love the adventure, but they must be at least 3 feet tall to go aboard. The Shallow Draught, Bridgetown, St. Michael, BB11142. 246/436-8929. www.barbados.atlantissubmarines.com.
Cool Runnings. On the catamaran Cool Runnings, owner Captain Robert Povey skippers a five-hour lunch cruise ($90) with stops to swim with the fishes, snorkel with sea turtles, and explore a shallow shipwreck. A four-hour sunset cruise ($80) includes swimming, snorkeling, and exploring underwater as the sun sinks below the horizon. Delicious meals with wine, along with an open bar, are part of all cruises. Carlisle House, Carlisle Wharf, Hincks St., Bridgetown, St. Michael. 246/436-0911. www.coolrunningsbarbados.com.
Jolly Roger 1. The whole family will get a kick out of a "pirate" ship sailing adventure on Jolly Roger 1. The four-hour day and sunset cruises along the island's west coast include a barbecue lunch or dinner, free-flowing drinks, lively music, swimming with turtles, and "pirate" activities such as walking the plank and rope swinging. The Shallow Draught, Bridgetown, St. Michael. 246/436-2885 or 246/826-7245. www.barbadosblackpearl-jollyroger1.com.
Tiami Catamaran Cruises. Tiami operates five catamaran party boats for luncheon cruises to a secluded bay for swimming with turtles or for romantic sunset and moonlight cruises with special catering and live music. Shallow Draught Harbour, Bridgetown, St. Michael. 246/430-0900. www.tiamicatamarancruises.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $199 -- Barbados 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 40% Hilton Barbados
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $429 & up -- 5- & 6-Nt. Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean American Express Travel
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off — $225-$260 BookIt.com
- $799 & up -- 7-Night Caribbean Cruises on Royal Caribbean — $799 American Express Travel