There's no sales tax in the Bahamas; the $15 departure tax is usually included in the price of commercial airline tickets. The departure tax from Turks and Caicos is $30 for persons older than age 12. It will probably be included in your airfare, but you may need to pay it in cash at the airport.
Tax on your hotel room is 6%-12%, depending on the island visited; at some resorts, a small service charge of up to 5% may be added to cover housekeeping and bellman service.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe