Since 2009, there has been a significant spike in violent crime in Nassau, especially near the cruise-ship dock and in off-the-beaten-path locations. Exercise caution in these areas: be aware of your wallet or handbag at all times, and keep your jewelry in the hotel safe. Be especially wary in remote areas, always lock your rental vehicle, and don't keep any valuables in the car, even in the locked trunk.
Women traveling alone should not go out walking unescorted at night in Nassau or in remote areas. To avoid unwanted attention, dress conservatively and cover up swimsuits off the beach.
General Information and Warnings
U.S. Department of State (www.travel.state.gov/travel.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe