Most international flights to the Bahamas connect through airports in Florida, New York, Charlotte, or Atlanta. The busiest airport in the Bahamas is in Nassau, which has the most connections to the more remote Out Islands. If you're traveling to these more remote islands, you might have to make a connection in both Florida and Nassau—and you still may have to take a ferry or a water taxi to your final destination.
A direct flight from New York City to Nassau takes approximately three hours. The flight from Charlotte to Nassau is two hours, and the flight from Miami to Nassau takes about an hour. Most flights between the islands of the Bahamas take less than an hour. You'll probably spend more time on the ground waiting than in the air.
Airline Security Issues
Transportation Security Administration. www.tsa.gov.
The major gateways to the Bahamas include Lynden Pindling International Airport (NAS) on New Providence Island, and Freeport Grand Bahama International Airport (FPO) on Grand Bahama Island. There are no hotels near either airport.
Grand Bahama International Airport. 242/352-2205.
Lynden Pindling International Airport. 242/702-1000.
Air service to the Bahamas varies seasonally, with the biggest choice of flights usually available in the Christmas-to-Easter window.
Local carriers come and go, especially in the Out Islands, which are served mostly by smaller commuter and charter operations. Schedules change frequently. The smallest cays may have scheduled service only a few days a week. In the Out Islands, ask your hotel for flight recommendations, as they are likely to have the most up-to-date information on carriers and schedules; some can even help you book air travel.
American Airlines. 800/433-7300.
Continental Airlines. 800/523-3273.
Delta Airlines. 800/221-1212.
Northwest Airlines. 800/225-2525.
Spirit Airlines. 800/772-7117.
US Airways. 800/428-4322.
Air Sunshine. 954/434-8900 or 800/327-8900.
Bahamasair. 800/222-4262. 242/342-2107.
Cat Island Air. 242/377-3318.
Cherokee Air. 242/367-1920.
Gulfstream International Airways. 800/231-0856.
Flamingo Air. 242/225-1558. www.flamingoairbah.com.
Florida Coastal Air. 954/772-9808 or 888/596-9247.
Island Air. 800/444-9904.
LeAir. 242/377-2356. www.leaircharters.com.
Locair. 800/205-0730. www.locair.
Lynx Air International. 888/596-9247.
Performance Air. 242/377-0724. www.performance-air.com.
Pineapple Air. 242/323-2420. www.pineappleair.net.
Regional Air. 800/598-8660. www.goregionalair.com.
Sky Bahamas Air. 242/300-0294.
Southern Air. 242/377-2014.
Twin Air Calypso. 954/359-8266.
Yellow Air Taxi. 888/935-5694.
Western Air. 242/329-4000.
Within the Turks and Caicos
Air Turks and Caicos. 649/941-5481.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off BookIt.com
- $419 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $101-$109 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort w/Credits — $101-$109 BookIt.com
- $1749 -- Balcony: Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer — $1,749 Royal Caribbean