The Southern Out Islands Restaurants
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Southern Out Islands Restaurant Reviews
Out Island restaurants are often family-run and focus on home-style dishes. You'll probably eat most of your meals at your hotel since there aren't many other places. If you want to dine at a restaurant or another inn, it's crucial to call ahead. Dinner choices largely depend on what the fishermen and mail boats bring in; be prepared for few choices.
Don't expect gourmet food, but do anticipate fresh fish, lobster, conch, fresh-baked bread, and coconut tarts. Cat Island is known for its spicy coarse yellow grits cooked with crab, and grits and peas with onions and tomatoes. (Call chef Sherman Russell at the Bridge Inn in New Bight and he will make some for you.) Don't miss "flour cakes," another Cat Island specialty, which taste similar to large vanilla wafers. A good bet for Friday or Saturday nights is an outdoor Fish Fry at a colorful beach shack, such as Regatta Beach on Cat Island or Kiwanis Park on Inagua.
Browse Southern Out Islands Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $173 -- Barbados All-Inclusive Resort w/Air Credit, 55% Off Couples Barbados
- $164 -- Bahamas: 4-Star Paradise Island All-Inclusive Resort Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
- $299 & up -- All- Incl. Bahamas Beach Trip, 3 Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off — $199 JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa