- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
If you want to explore the entire island, a car is necessary. The Queen's Highway curls like a ribbon from north to south, ending abruptly at the ocean in the north and at a stop sign in the south. It's narrow, with no marked center line, which makes bikes and scooters dangerous modes of transportation. The highway is easily traversed, but some off roads require four-wheel drive, such as the road to the Columbus Monument, which is treacherous. The roads to Adderley's Plantation and Chez Pierre's are rough, but passable.
Most hotels will arrange car rentals, and can have your car waiting on-site. Rentals range from $60 to $85. Some include gas; all have a limited number of vehicles.
Keep your gas tank full; while there are service stations along the island, hours can be irregular and some take only cash.
Williams Car Rental (Glintons, Long Island. 242/338–5002.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe