- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
If you want to explore the entire island, a car is necessary. The Queen's Highway curls like a ribbon from north to south, ending abruptly at the ocean in the north and at a stop sign in the south. It's narrow, with no marked center line, which makes bikes and scooters dangerous modes of transportation. The highway is easily traversed, but some off roads require four-wheel drive, such as the road to the Columbus Monument, which is treacherous. The roads to Adderley's Plantation and Chez Pierre's are rough, but passable.
Most hotels will arrange car rentals, and can have your car waiting on-site. Rentals range from $60 to $85. Some include gas; all have a limited number of vehicles.
Keep your gas tank full; while there are service stations along the island, hours can be irregular and some take only cash.
Taylor's Rentals (242/338-7001.)
Williams Car Rental (242/338-5002.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $164 -- Bahamas: 4-Star Paradise Island All-Inclusive Resort Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $129 -- Puerto Rico: San Juan Beachfront Resort, 40% Off — $129 El San Juan Resort & Casino
- $949 -- Oceanview: Bahamas & Florida Cruise on Norwegian — $949 CruisesOnly