- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Diving and Snorkeling
Conception Island Wall is an excellent wall dive, with hard and soft coral, plus interesting sponge formations. The M/V Comberbach, a 103-foot British freighter built in 1948, sank off Cape Santa Maria in 1984, and was scuttled by the Stella Maris Resort in 1986 to create an artificial reef and excellent dive site. Take a guided diving excursion to Shark's Reef and watch a scuba master safely feed dozens of sharks.
Cape Santa Maria Resort. This resort uses expert divers and guides for a myriad of diving and snorkeling trips to various reefs, walls, and wrecks around Long Island as well as trips to Conception Island; dive and snorkel equipment is available for rent. In addition, visitors can rent stand up paddle boards and Hobie Cat sail boats to explore the coast of Cape Santa Maria Beach and its surrounding bays. Cape Santa Maria Resort, Long Island. 242/338–5273 or 800/926–9704. www.capesantamaria.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Diving and Snorkeling
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe