The Southern Out Islands Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to The Southern Out Islands
Stage a disappearing act: Discover your inner castaway on islands way off the trampled tourist track. Pink or white sand, calm azure coves, or rolling ocean waves—you'll have your pick.
Tell your own tall fishing tale: Whether deep-sea fishing past the Wall off southern Inagua or bonefishing in the crystal-clear shallows on Cat Island's east coast, your fish-capades will be ones to remember.
Explore historic lighthouses: Surrounded by treacherous shoals and reefs, the southern Out Islands have the country's most famous 19th-century lighthouses, most of which you can climb for stunning views.
Set sail: Sailing regattas are huge here at the gateway to the Caribbean. It's thrilling to watch the first boats come into view and race across the horizon in full sail.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $164 -- Bahamas: 4-Star Paradise Island All-Inclusive Resort Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $129 -- Puerto Rico: San Juan Beachfront Resort, 40% Off — $129 El San Juan Resort & Casino
- $949 -- Oceanview: Bahamas & Florida Cruise on Norwegian — $949 CruisesOnly