- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Yachts large and small anchor off the coast of Regatta Beach, and boaters dingy in to the Custom House, located in a small collection of government buildings, in this pretty little community, the largest town on the island. Houses face the Queen's Highway, which twists through green hills. Yachties and visitors stock up at the small grocery store and a bakery. The island's most iconic sight is Mt. Alvernia, which is crowned with a little abbey. There's also a colorful Fish Fry, a collection of fish shacks on Regatta Beach that's a lively hangout on weekends, lovely old churches, and eerie abandoned stone cottages many of which are plantation ruins. The town sits along the calm white beaches of the west coast and has peaceful saltwater estuaries that are nesting areas for great blue herons, egrets, and pelicans.
New Bight at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's