- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Exumas' Junkanoo Parade on Boxing Day (Dec. 26) starts around 3 pm in George Town, ending at Regatta Park. Dancing, barbecues, and music happens before and after the parade.
The Annual New Year's Day Cruising Regatta at the Staniel Cay Yacht Club marks the finale of a five-day celebration.
The George Town Cruising Regatta in March is 12 days of festivities including sailing, a conch-blowing contest, dance, food and entertainment, and sports competitions.
March's Bahamian Music and Heritage Festival brings local and nationally known musicians to George Town, along with arts and crafts, Bahamas sloop exhibitions, storytelling, singing, poetry reading, and gospel music.
In April, the National Family Islands Regatta is the Bahamas' most important yachting event. Starting the race in Elizabeth Harbour in George Town, island-made wooden sloops compete for trophies. Onshore, the town is a three-day riot of Junkanoo parades, Goombay music, and arts-and-crafts fairs.
The Junkanoo Summer Festival in June and July is held beachside at the Fish Fry in George Town and features local and visiting bands, kids' sunfish sailing, arts and crafts, and boatbuilding displays. It takes place every Saturday at noon.
The annual Bahamas Sunfish Festival in October at Little Farmer's Cay features exciting races to prepare young sailors for international competition.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe