- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In the shallow flats off Exuma's windward coast the elusive bonefish, the "ghosts of the sea," roam. Patient fishermen put featherweight, thumbnail-size flies on the lines, calculate the tides and currents, and cast out about 50 feet in hope of catching one. For sure success, avid fishermen pay guides about $300 a day to help them outsmart the skinny gray fish that streak through crystal water. Most hotels can arrange for expert locals guides, and a list is also available from the Exuma Tourist Office. The season is year-round and highly prized among fly fishermen.
Fish Rowe Charters. This charter compnay has a 40-foot Hatteras that holds up to four fishermen. Deepwater charters run $800 for a half day, $1,200 for 3/4 day, and $1,600 for a full day. 242/357–0870. www.fishrowecharters.com.
Steve Ferguson. Stevie is an experienced guide who will help you hook feisty bonefish. Great Exuma Island. www.bonefishstevie.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's