- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Scuba Diving and Snorkeling
There's excellent diving throughout the Abacos. Many sites are clustered around Marsh Harbour, including the reef behind Guana Cay, which is filled with little cavelike catacombs, and Fowl Cay National Reserve, which contains wide tunnels and a variety of fish. Pelican Cays National Park is a popular dive area south of Marsh Harbour. This shallow, 25-foot dive is filled with sea life; turtles are often sighted, as are spotted eagle rays and tarpon. The park is a 2,000-acre land and marine park protected and maintained by the Bahamas National Trust. Hook up your own boat to one of the moorings, or check with the local dive shops to see when trips to the park are scheduled. All of these sights can be easily snorkeled. Snorkelers will also want to visit Mermaid Beach, just off Pelican Shores Road in Marsh Harbour, where live reefs and green moray eels make for some of the Abacos' best snorkeling.
Dive Abaco. Located at the Conch Inn, Dive Abaco offers scuba and snorkeling trips on custom dive boats. Sites explored include reefs, tunnels, caverns, and wreck dives. 800/247–5338 or 242/367–2787. www.diveabaco.com.
Rainbow Rentals. This outfit rents catamarans and snorkeling gear. 242/367–4602.
Sea Horse Boat Rentals. Snorkeling gear is available from Sea Horse Boat Rentals. 242/367–2513.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe