- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Bahamas International Film Festival. In early December, the Bahamas International Film Festival in Nassau celebrates cinema in paradise, with screenings, receptions, and movie-industry panels.
Authentically Bahamian Christmas Trade Show. The Authentically Bahamian Christmas Trade Show on Cable Beach showcases conch-shell jewelry, straw handbags, batiks, and other island-made crafts the first weekend of December.
Christmas Jollification. This ongoing arts-and-crafts fair with Bahamian Christmas crafts, food, and music is held at the Retreat in Nassau.
Junior Junkanoo Parade. The island's schoolchildren compete for bragging rights in the Junior Junkanoo Parade in mid-December. The parade starts at 6 pm and kids in preschool through high school rush down Bay Street, putting on an exciting show.
Junkanoo. Once Christmas dinner is over, the focus shifts to Junkanoo. The first major parade of the season starts just after midnight in downtown Nassau. There's a second parade on New Year's Day.
International Dog Show & Obedience Trials. In Nassau, watchdogs of all classes compete at the International Dog Show & Obedience Trials, held late March. Check www.bahamaskennelclub.org for location.
Junkanoo Summer Festival. Woodes Rodgers Walk is transformed during the annual Junkanoo Summer Festival held weekends during the month of July. Listen to Rake 'n' Scrape bands, watch a Junkanoo rush-out, and sample local foods.
Fox Hill Festival. The Nassau Fox Hill Festival in early August pays tribute to Emancipation with church services, Junkanoo parades, music, cookouts, games, and other festivities.
International Cultural Weekend. Eat and drink your way around the world at the International Cultural Weekend, hosted at the Botanic Gardens the third weekend of October.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $213-$228 -- Oceanview Suite at Bahamas All-Incl. Resort BookIt.com
- $225-$260 -- Aruba 4-Star All-Incl. Resort, Kids Half Off BookIt.com
- $799 & up -- St. Thomas All-Incl. Beach Trip w/Air, $950 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $101-$109 -- Punta Cana 4-Star All-Incl. Resort w/Credits — $101-$109 BookIt.com