The oldest of the island's three forts, Montagu was built of local limestone in 1741 to repel Spanish invaders. The only action it saw was when it was occupied for two weeks by rebel American troops—among them a lieutenant named John Paul Jones—seeking arms and ammunition during the Revolutionary War. The small fortification is quite simple, but displays a lovely elevated view of Nassau Harbour. The second level has a number of weathered cannons. A recently renovated and restored public beach looks out upon Montagu Bay, where many international yacht regattas and Bahamian sloop races are held annually.
East of Bay St. on Eastern Rd., Paradise Island, New Providence Island, Bahamas