- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Only 52 miles off Palm Beach, Florida, 96-mile-long Grand Bahama is one of the chain's northernmost islands. Freeport and Lucaya, which more or less melt into one another, are its main cities, comprising the second-largest metropolitan area in the Bahamas. Lucaya sees the most action, as Freeport struggles to regain ground lost in the hurricanes and financial setbacks of the last decade. The town of West End is a quiet, colorful fishing village that gathers small crowds on Sunday evenings at local beach shacks. Its upscale Old Bahama Bay Resort, marina, and residential development are the extent of tourism on this end of the island. East of Freeport-Lucaya small fishing settlements, secluded beaches, and undeveloped forest stretch for 60 miles.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's