- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Grand Bahama International Airport (FPO) (242/352-2205) is about 6 minutes from downtown Freeport and about 10 minutes from Port Lucaya. No bus service is available between the airport and hotels. Metered taxis meet all incoming flights. Rides cost about $17 for two to Freeport, $22 to Lucaya. The price drops to $4 per person with larger groups.
Grand Bahama is the port of call for several cruise lines. Discovery Cruises (800/259-1579 www.discoverycruiseline.com) provides daily ferry service from Fort Lauderdale, a five-hour trip each way.Taxis meet all cruise ships. Passengers (two) are charged $20 for trips to Freeport and $27 to Lucaya. The price drops to $5 per person with larger groups.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $173 -- Barbados All-Inclusive Resort w/Air Credit, 55% Off Couples Barbados
- $164 -- Bahamas: 4-Star Paradise Island All-Inclusive Resort Hotel Riu Palace Paradise Island
- $299 & up -- All- Incl. Bahamas Beach Trip, 3 Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off — $199 JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa