- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Greater Grand Bahama
On either side of the Freeport-Lucaya development, the island reverts to natural pine forest, fishing settlements, and undiscovered beaches. Heading west from Freeport, travelers pass the harbor area, a cluster of shacks selling fresh conch and seafood at Fishing Hole, a series of small villages, and Deadman's Reef at Paradise Cove before reaching the historic fishing town of West End and its upscale resort at the island's very tip. East of Lucaya lies Garden of the Groves, Lucayan National Park, and long stretches of forest interrupted by the occasional small town.
Run Doggie Run
Island dogs, known as "potcakes"—a reference to the bottom of the rice pans they clean up—run wild, so be careful when driving. Efforts in recent years have raised awareness of the need for neutering and spaying.
Greater Grand Bahama at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe