Boating and Fishing in Grand Bahama Island
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Boating and Fishing
Private boat charters for up to four people cost $300 and up for a half day and $350 and up for a full day. Bahamian law limits the catching of game fish to six each of dolphinfish, kingfish, tuna, or wahoo per vessel.
Bonefish Folley & Sons. Bonefish Folley & Sons can take you deep-sea fishing or flats fishing. "Bonefish," now almost 90 years old and a legend in these parts, makes fewer trips than his two sons. Rates are negotiable. West End, Grand Bahama Island. 242/646-9504. www.web-wrx.com/sites/tommy.
Capt. Phil & Mel's Bonefishing Guide Services. Capt. Phil & Mel's Bonefishing Guide Services provides a colorful and expert foray into the specialized world of bonefishing. A whole day (eight hours) for up to two people will run you $450, transportation included; a half day costs $350. McLean's Town, Grand Bahama Island. 242/441-0863 or 877/613-2454. www.bahamasbonefishing.net.
Reef Tours Ltd.. This company offers deep-sea fishing for four to six people on custom boats. Equipment and bait are provided free. All vessels are licensed, inspected, and insured. Trips run from 8:30 to 12:15 and from 1 to 4:45, weather permitting ($130 per angler, $60 per spectator). Full-day trips are also available, as are bottom-fishing excursions, glass-bottom boat tours, snorkeling trips, and sailing-snorkeling cruises. Reservations are essential. Port Lucaya Marketplace, Grand Bahama Island. 242/373-5880. www.bahamasvacationguide.com/reeftours.
Grand Bahama Yacht Club at Lucayan Marina Village. Grand Bahama Yacht Club at Lucayan Marina Village offers guests complimentary ferry service to Port Lucaya; the marina has 125 slips accommodating boats up to 175 feet long, a fuel dock, swimming pools, a bar and grill, transportation to customs and immigrations, and a clubhouse. Midshipman Rd., Port Lucaya, Grand Bahama Island. 242/373-8888. www.lucayanmarina.com.
Old Bahama Bay Resort & Yacht Harbour. Old Bahama Bay has 72 slips to accommodate yachts up to 120 feet long. Facilities include a customs and immigration office, fuel, showers, laundry, and electric, cable, and water hookups. West End, Grand Bahama Island. 242/350-6500.
Port Lucaya Marina. Here you can find a broad range of water sports, free wireless Internet access, and a pump-out station; the marina has 106 slips for vessels no longer than 190 feet. Customs and immigrations officials are on-site full-time. Port Lucaya Marketplace, Grand Bahama Island. 242/373-9090. www.portlucayamarina.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $159 -- Nassau 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 40% Off Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino
- $799 & up -- St. Thomas All-Incl. Beach Trip w/Air, $950 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $499 & up -- Last Minute: 4-Night Bahamas & Key West Cruise Royal Caribbean
- $649 & up -- Weeklong Cruise to Bahamas in Summer — $649 Royal Caribbean