Freeport in Grand Bahama Island
Known in some parts as no-see-ums, the practically invisible sand fleas called "flying teeth" in the Bahamas are a force to be reckoned with, especially at the West End and in the summer months. At and after sunset they come out in force on still nights, and their bites can result in itchy red welts. Dress in long sleeves and pants or apply a repellent. Avon's Skin-So-Soft lotion or baby oil are the generally accepted deterrents.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's