- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Junkanoo is celebrated in Tarpum Bay on Christmas Day, and in Rock Sound and Harbour Island on December 26. Celebrations start around 7 pm.
Cyclists from around the globe come in March to ride the 100-mi Ride for Hope, an event that benefits cancer care and research. Riders of all ages and skill levels can ride 6 mi or 100. The route starts at Governor's Harbour. www.riodeforhopebahamas.com.
Conch Fest. Deep Creek's annual Conch Fest in June has lots of conch, Rake 'n' Scrape, and arts and crafts.
Eleuthera Pineapple Festival. In June, Gregory Town hosts the four-day Eleuthera Pineapple Festival, with a Junkanoo parade, crafts displays, tours of pineapple farms, the annual 40-mi Cycling Race—as well as an opportunity to sample what Eleuthera natives proclaim to be the sweetest pineapple in the world.
Softball Playoff Games. Softball is the top sport in Eleuthera, and you can't beat Softball Playoff Games in September for excitement and camaraderie with locals. The winner competes in the national tournament. Games are held in Palmetto Point, Rock Sound, Governor's Harbour, and James Cistern.
North Eleuthera/Harbour Island Sailing Regatta. The North Eleuthera/Harbour Island Sailing Regatta in October provides five days of exciting competition of Bahamian Class A, B, and C boats. Onshore activities based on Harbour Island include live bands, Bahamian music, cultural shows, food, and drink.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe