- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hatchet Bay, which has mid-Eleuthera's only marina, is a good place to find a fishing guide and friendly locals. Take note of the town's side roads, which have such colorful names as Lazy Road, Happy Hill Road, and Smile Lane. Just south of town, the Rainbow Inn and Restaurant is the hub of activity for this stretch of the island. Bay Inn Bed and Breakfast opened in late 2009, and has been busy since the first day.
"The Country's Safest Harbour" is Hatchet Bay's claim to fame. The naturally protected harbor is a popular place to anchor sailboats and fishing vessels when storms are coming. One of the most memorable days for the harbor, however, wasn't a storm but the day years ago when Jackie Kennedy Onassis came in on a friend's yacht.
The pastoral scenery outside of Hatchet Bay is some of the island's most memorable—towering, long-empty grain silos, windswept green hillsides, and wild cotton, remnants of the old cotton plantations. Don't miss James Cistern, a seaside settlement to the south.
Hatchet Bay at a Glance
Elsewhere in Eleuthera and Harbour Island
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's