- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hatchet Bay, which has mid-Eleuthera's only marina, is a good place to find a fishing guide and friendly locals. Take note of the town's side roads, which have such colorful names as Lazy Road, Happy Hill Road, and Smile Lane. Just south of town, the Rainbow Inn and Restaurant is the hub of activity for this stretch of the island. Bay Inn Estates Bed and Breakfast opened in late 2009 and has been busy since the first day.
"The World's Safest Harbour" is Hatchet Bay's claim to fame. The naturally protected harbor is a popular place to anchor sailboats and fishing vessels when storms are coming. One of the most memorable days for the harbor, however, wasn't a storm but the day years ago when Jackie Kennedy Onassis came in on a friend's yacht.
The pastoral scenery outside of Hatchet Bay is some of the island's most memorable—towering, long-empty grain silos, windswept green hillsides, and wild cotton, remnants of the old cotton plantations. Don't miss James Cistern, a seaside settlement to the south. Time your visit for a Friday or Saturday so you can drop by Billy and Brenda Stubbs' weekly barbecue (from 11 to 3 pm) under a tamarind tree next to the Queen's Highway. Chicken and ribs are cooked on the grill, and you can eat on picnic tables in the shade or take your lunch across the street to the side of the bay.
Hatchet Bay at a Glance
Elsewhere in Eleuthera and Harbour Island
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $159 -- Nassau 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 40% Off Sheraton Nassau Beach Resort & Casino
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $349 & up -- Weekend Bahamas Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $369 & up -- Caribbean Vacation Sale incl. Atlantis, 60% Off — $369 CheapCaribbean.com