- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The clarity of Bahamian waters is particularly evident when you cross the Great Bahama Bank from Bimini, then cruise along the Berry Islands on the way to Nassau. The water's depth is seldom more than 20 feet here. Grass patches and an occasional coral head or flat coral patch dot the light-sand bottom. Starfish abound, and you can often catch a glimpse of a gliding stingray or eagle ray. You might spot the odd turtle, and if you care to jump over the boat's side with a mask, you might also pick up a conch or two in the grass. Especially good snorkeling and bonefishing, and peaceful anchorages, can be found on the lee shores of the Hoffmans and Little Harbour cays. When it's open, Flo's Conch Bar, at the southern end of Little Harbour Cay, serves fresh conch prepared every way you can imagine.
Great Harbour Cay Marina. In the upper Berry Islands, the full-service Great Harbour Cay Marina has 80 slips that can handle boats up to 150 feet. Accessible through an 80-foot-wide channel from the bank side, the marina has one of the Bahamas' most pristine beaches running along its east side. The marina is also one of the best hurricane holes in the Bahamas. Fuel can be obtained at a separate dock west of the marina. 242/367–8005.
Happy People. At Great Harbour Cy Marina, Happy People has boats available for exploring the island. They also rent golf carts and jeeps. Great Harbour Cy Marina, Great Harbour Cay. 242/367–8117.
More Sports and Outdoors
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe