- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
South Bimini (BIM) has a teensy airport, but blessedly with air-conditioning. It services flights from Fort Lauderdale (Gulfstream International and Island Air Charters), Nassau (Western Air and Sky Bahamas), and Grand Bahama Island (Regional Air). A short taxi ride ($3) from the airport delivers you to the ferry to North Bimini, a five-minute crossing that costs $2 each way.
Sherice "M" leaves Potter's Cay, Nassau, Wednesday afternoon for North Bimini, Cat Cay, and Chub Cay. The trip takes about 12 hours and costs $65 one-way. Return is Saturday morning.
Boaters often travel from Florida to Bimini, mostly from West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, and Miami. Crossing the Gulf Stream, however, should only be done by skippers who can plot a course using charts for that purpose. The distance is 48 nautical mi.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe