- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The bulk of Andros's resort scene centers here around the neighboring towns of Fresh Creek and Andros Town, north to Stafford Creek and down to Queen's Highway's southernmost reaches at Cargill Creek and Behring Point. Andros Town is the transportation and governmental hub midisland. Andros's largest resorts are here and at nearby Small Hope Bay. They are dedicated to boaters and divers, whereas the southern settlements cater exclusively to bonefishermen with small lodges. Central Andros accounts for 60% of the island's resort rooms.
As you head south in Central Andros, pine forests and later scrubby vegetation give way to hardwood hammocks. Coved beaches scallop the eastern shoreline while the famed West Side is riddled with mangrove estuaries rich with marine life, including lobster and bonefish. Pleasing Behring Point, at the end of Queen's Highway, fronts Northern Bight, another bonefish sweet spot. Nice homes with flowering gardens, palm trees, and sea grapes overlook the bight along Coakley Street. Several fishing guides in this area have started up their own small fishing lodges. Guesthouse-style, they often include all-day fishing and meals.
Central Andros at a Glance
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe