- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Port of Oranjestad is a busy place and is generally full of eager tourists looking for souvenirs or a bite to eat. The port can accommodate up to five ships at a time (and frequently does). The Renaissance Marketplace is right on the port, as are a number of souvenir shops and some decent and inexpensive restaurants. The main shopping areas of Oranjestad are all within 10 minutes' walk of the port.
Taxis can be flagged down on the street that runs alongside the port (look for license plates with a "TX" tag). Rates are fixed (i.e., there are no meters; the rates are set by the government and displayed on a chart), though you and the driver should agree on the fare before your ride begins. Rides to Eagle Beach run about $10; to Palm Beach, about $11. If you want to rent a car, you can do so for a reasonable price; driving is on the right, just as in the United States, and it's pretty easy to get around, though a four-wheel-drive vehicle does help in reaching some of the more out-of-the-way places.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $173 -- Barbados All-Inclusive Resort w/Air Credit, 55% Off Couples Barbados
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
- $699 & up -- Westin Aruba Resort, 4-Nt. Escape w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- $129 -- Puerto Rico: San Juan Beachfront Resort, 40% Off — $129 El San Juan Resort & Casino