- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Brewing Up Something Special
There was a time when you could walk into any bar in Aruba and get a glass of water by asking for a Balashi Cocktail. (The name came from the fact that the desalination plant is in an area known as Balashi.) Since the creation of Balashi, the first locally brewed beer, such a drink order has taken on a whole new meaning.
Made by a German brewmaster in a state-of-the-art facility, Balashi is a golden-color pilsner. The beer is a source of local pride, even more so since it won the prestigious Monde Selection at an international competition in 2001. Visitors love it as well. "It's a big tourist thing," explains Gerben Tilma, general manager of the plant. "Everyone wants to know what the best local products are. Now we can tell them."
Balashi Brewery. The Balashi Brewery has free one-hour tours at 10 am weekdays. There's also a souvenir shop, a café, and a 10,000-square-foot beer garden where you can enjoy a cold one. Balashi. 297/585–4805.Updated: 10-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's