- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Papa Zouk Review
Who would have thought that two jovial globe-trotting German gents could create a classic Caribbean hangout? But the madras tablecloths, straw lamps, fishnets festooned with Christmas lights, painted bottles of homemade hot sauces, art naif, colorful island clientele, and lilting rhythms on the sound system justify the name (zouk is a sultry musical stew of soul and calypso). Seafood is king, from butterfish to Barbudan snapper, served either deep-fried or steamed with a choice of such sauces as guava-pepper teriyaki or tomato-basil-coriander. Tangy Caribbean bouillabaisse with garlicky Parmesan mayonnaise and the tapas platter are specialties, as are the knockout rum punches. Finish dinner with a snifter of aged rum: the tiny, Pollock-style handpainted bar holds 250 varieties from around the globe.
- Address: Hilda Davis Dr., Gambles Terrace St. John's
- Phone: 268/464–7576; 268/464–6044
- Location: Antigua and Barbuda
- No credit cards.
- Closed May–Oct. and Sun. No lunch sometimes; call ahead for hrs.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
If there is one destination that needs to be added to your bucket list it is Jumby Bay. Read more
I am typing this on the aircraft back to New Jersey because I am too upset to wait til we get back home to get started. Read more
· News & Features
Here are 11 reasons to sit at your computer on Cyber Monday and click away in pursuit of your next beach... Read more
You've island-hopped in the Bahamas and hob-nobbed on St.... Read more
While family trips to the zoo can be fun, we recommend taking the experience to another level by getting... Read more