Alofaaga Blowholes Review
One great reason to venture over to Samoa's other island, Savai'i, is to witness the power and beauty of the sea at the Alofaaga Blowholes. The phenomenon was created when lava flows formed tubes that connect the ocean to the rock platform—at high tide, water rushes into the tubes and blows up through holes in the rocks. Local villagers add to the entertainment by dropping coconuts into the holes just before a blow, which shoots the nuts high into the air to the delight of onlookers. You can bring your own coconuts, too. Access to the blowholes is via the village of Taga (where you pay a 5 tala entrance fee) and then a walk along a trail. Taga is southwest of the terminal where the ferry from Upolu calls.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1799 & up -- Fiji: 5-Night Upscale Getaway w/Air & Tours Travelscene
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Devils of Tasmania — $10,445 IExplore
In April, 2013, we traveled to Tahiti where we stayed on the islands of Moorea and Tahiti prior to boarding an Oceania cruise that sailed through French Polynesia and the Society Islands. Read more
My other half and I recently spent a lovely four day weekend in Margaret River, thanks to the rare occurrence of a rotating Friday off and a Monday public holiday.
For those wanting the wordless version, Read more
For some time I've been haunting these boards and butting into other people's threads, so i thought that it was high time that I had a go at working out my own itinerary for you all to take pot shots at. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's ... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more