Port Moresby, capital and largest city of Papua New Guinea (PNG), lies on the shores of the Gulf of Papua and is named after Captain John Moresby, the British naval officer who became the first European to come here in 1873. The South Pacific's largest city (population 300,000 and rising fast) has a bit of a hard reputation. First-time visitors can find the city intimidating, but those who manage to look beyond the crime statistics will discover unexpected pleasures in places like the National Botanical Gardens and the Parliament Haus. Be mindful, not paranoid, and you will find that Port Moresby is a welcoming and friendly microcosm of PNG.
Port Moresby at a Glance
Elsewhere in Papua New Guinea
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's