Papua New Guinea Travel Guide
Dichotomous Papua New Guinea (PNG) is both one of the world's fastest growing economies and among its most rural. The island nation is culturally rich, with hundreds of different ethnic groups, many of which are made up of just a hundred people. It's that possible there are more than six million speakers of 800-plus indigenous languages. Because PNG is so ethnically diverse, the country is home to a wide range of art, music, dance, and handicrafts. There's not much tourist infrastructure here but, as with its fellow Oceana Islands, visitors to PNG enjoy beaches, snorkeling, and its laid back pace of life.
Fodor's local writers visit every hotel we recommend. Look for our discerning Fodor's Choice picks or search by price and location.
Find the best Papua New Guinea restaurants in every price category with our top picks.
Things To Do in Papua New Guinea
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1799 & up -- Fiji: 5-Night Upscale Getaway w/Air & Tours Travelscene
- Amazing Australia IExplore
- $1299* -- Auckland or Sydney R/T Air from LA w/2 Nts in Fiji — $1,299 PacificIslands.com
- Papua New Guinea & the Sepik River — $9,995 IExplore
Watch the Birds: Papua New Guinea is home to nearly 700 species of beautiful birds.... Read more
With a burgeoning food and drink scene, gorgeous green spaces, and festivals galore, Philly should be... Read more
In Spain, the gin and tonic (called "gin tonics") is an art form with carefully chosen gin and small-batch... Read more
Hong Kong is known for great food, buzzing nightlife, inspiring attractions, and for having one of the... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Places To Explore
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
In April, 2013, we traveled to Tahiti where we stayed on the islands of Moorea and Tahiti prior to boarding an Oceania cruise that sailed through French Polynesia and the Society Islands. Read more
My other half and I recently spent a lovely four day weekend in Margaret River, thanks to the rare occurrence of a rotating Friday off and a Monday public holiday.
For those wanting the wordless version, Read more