Emily Bay Review
A gorgeous arc of golden sand, backed by towering Norfolk Island Pines and lapped by turquoise waters, makes this the most beautiful beach on the island. It is also the only one suitable for swimming as its tranquility—described by many as a huge ocean pool—results from the protective coral reef about a 100 meters off shore. Situated near Kingston and its historic buildings, Emily Bay is ideal for families and avid snorkelers, too. If that's not your thing, explore the bright coral and tropical fish on a glass-bottom boat ride. On the shoreline is a 450-year old Norfolk Pine, documented by Captain James Cook when he visited the island in 1778. While there are many stunning bays on the island, all but Emily are quite dangerous due to the winds and high seas. Bring a picnic or barbecue supplies as there are plenty of tables and grills, and don't forget a bottle of wine.
- Address: Bay Street, Kingston
- Location: Norfolk Island
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hai everyone... I finally visited New Zealand... Yeay!!!! I am pretty proud of myself because I did all the driving and planning... We had 12 days journey in North Island from October 13 to October 24.. Read more
I have just been stung to the tune of £3,600 (US$ 5,700) by the charlatan Ben Nickintz who runs a tour company called Niugini Eco Tours (www.png-tourism.com). He cancelled the tour 3 hours before I Read more
I can't remember what thread we talked about this so am starting up a new thread.
Now that we are closer to our trip I know much more about our schedule while down around Sydney. It's not ideal, but i Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more