- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Interislander runs a ferry service between Wellington and Picton; the Interislander boats take three hours, and fares vary by time of year and range NZ$55-$75 one-way per person; for a car and driver, fares are NZ$165-$255. You can book up to six months in advance. A free bus leaves Platform 9 at the Wellington Railway Station for the ferry terminal 40 minutes before sailings. Bluebridge Cook Strait Ferry vessels, Santa Regina andThe Straitsman, sail up to four times per day between Wellington and Picton. Fares are NZ$55 one-way per person, NZ$185 for a driver with car up to 20 feet long. Most car-rental agencies offer North Island-South Island transfer programs.
Bluebridge Cook Strait Ferry (0800/844–844. www.bluebridge.co.nz.)
Interislander (0800/802–802. www.interislander.co.nz.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's