The pleasant town of Martinborough embodies the changes that have taken place in the Wairarapa as a result of the burgeoning wine industry. The town gets its name from its founder, John Martin, who, in 1881, laid out the streets in a union jack pattern, radiating from the square that forms the hub. Most restaurants and shops are on or close to the square.
To tap into the Wairarapa wine world, Martinborough is the place to
come. More than 20 vineyards are within a few miles of town—an easy walk or bike ride to some and a pleasant drive to most.