- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
During weekdays the roads are mostly quiet, ideal for cycling and relaxed motoring; however, driving on rural roads can be deceptive. Keep a sharp eye out for livestock movement—large herds of cattle or sheep can be just around that bend.
Weekends at virtually any time during the year can bring a flood of visitors. The first Saturday in February and March, the two Martinborough Fair Days, can see traffic jams for miles. On a good, sunny winter weekend, Wellington people regularly pop "over the hill" to sample a vineyard meal and a glass of vino. Plan your visit if you want to avoid the crowds.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/Tours — $2,999 Down Under Answers
- $2699 & up -- Cook Islands, Sydney & New Zealand Trip w/Air — $2,699 Down Under Answers