- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The pleasant town of Martinborough embodies the changes that have taken place in the Wairarapa as a result of the burgeoning wine industry. The town gets its name from its founder, John Martin, who, in 1881, laid out the streets in a union jack pattern, radiating from the square that forms the hub. Most restaurants and shops are on or close to the square.
To tap into the Wairarapa wine world, Martinborough is the place to come. More than 20 vineyards are within a few miles of town—an easy walk or bike ride to some and a pleasant drive or horse-drawn-carriage ride to most.
Martinborough at a Glance
Elsewhere in Wellington and the Wairarapa
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1099* -- Australia/NZ Flights w/Fiji Stop From West Coast Air Pacific
- $1298 -- New Zealand in 'Summer' w/Tahiti Stop, $795 Off Air Tahiti Nui & Tourism New Zealand
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T — $1,120 Air New Zealand
- $2999 & up -- Sydney & New Zealand 12-Nt Escape w/Tours — $2,999 Down Under Answers
- $2699 & up -- Cook Islands, Sydney & New Zealand Trip w/Air — $2,699 Down Under Answers