- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Kayaking and Rafting
Glacier Country Kayaks. Lake Mapourika, a (usually) mirror-still glacial lake reflecting its rainforest and mountain surrounds, is five minutes' drive from Franz Josef township. Glacier Country Kayaks leads three-hour trips on the lake, misty morning or evening sunset paddles are recommended. This is a cool trip, even if it's raining (and often it's not raining here even though it's in the township). You'll nose your kayak into an estuary that backs onto protected forest where Okarito Rowi kiwi live—on an evening paddle you might hear them calling. Quality kayaks and and gear are provided; you can meet your guides at the lake or in town. Reservations essential. The best views are likely to be in winter, when the weather is clearer and calmer. 03/752–0230; 0800/423–262 (South Island only). firstname.lastname@example.org. www.glacierkayaks.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's