- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Visitors traveling from the North Island can take the Interislander ferry from Wellington to Picton, the northern entrance to the South Island. The trip is spectacular in good weather, but Cook Strait can be rough in bad weather. The one-way adult fare ranges from NZ$55 to NZ$75. Ferries dock in Picton wharf. You can leave your rental vehicle in Wellington and pick up a new one in Picton.
Interislander (0800/802-802 (NZ only). www.interislander.co.nz.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand