- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Visitors traveling from the North Island can take the Interislander ferry from Wellington to Picton, the northern entrance to the South Island. The trip is spectacular in good weather, but Cook Strait can be rough in bad weather. The one-way adult fare ranges from NZ$55 to NZ$75. Ferries dock in Picton wharf. You can leave your rental vehicle in Wellington and pick up a new one in Picton.
Interislander (0800/802–802 (NZ only). www.interislander.co.nz.)
Bluebridge (0800/844–844. www.bluebridge.co.nz.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's