- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
Twin Waters Lodge
At a Glance
- interesting tidal esturine
- a strong eco-policy is in place with good waste disposal, use of solar energy, and use of rainwater
- limited evening dining options in shoulder seasons if not eating in-house
Check Rates from our Partners
Twin Waters Lodge Review
Built on the edge of the Pakawau Estuary, this small but stunningly designed lodge overlooks the surrounding hills and wetlands, and is a two-minute walk from the sea on the other side of the peninsula. Curved timber ceilings, floor-to-ceiling windows, and two sheltered multilevel decks enhance the property. Despite the very Kiwi coastal environment outside, the lodge rooms are decorated with international themes, with names such as Shanghai, Zanzibar, Safari, and Naigani, and decorated with artwork brought back from your hosts' worldly winter travels. The lodge is extremely close to all the natural wonders of Farewell Spit and its exceptional birdlife. It's just a short drive to the wild western beach of Wharariki. Ask your hosts about the clifftop walk. A three-course dinner is available at NZ$65 per person but book ahead.
- Address: 30 Totara Ave., Pakawau, 9 km (5½ miles) past Collingwood on road to Farewell Spit Collingwood, 7073 | Map It
- Phone: 03/524–8014
- Website: www.twinwaters.co.nz
- Location: Golden Bay and Takaka
- 4 rooms.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed June–mid Oct.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
I had a few extra days after a meeting in Christchurch to see some places I've missed in previous trips to NZ. Read more
My husband and I are going to be in New Zealand from March 19-26. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more