- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
Hapuku Lodge and Tree Houses
At a Glance
- unique luxury accommodations
- surf out the back window and the snow out the front
- walking track down to the sea through the olive grove
- stay in the main lodge if you can't manage stairs
- no kids in the main lodge (but they're welcome in the tree houses)
Check Rates from our Partners
Hapuku Lodge and Tree Houses Review
Featuring imaginative use of timbers and finishings, the rooms in Hapuku's main lodge building are quietly tasteful, but out in the trees things get way more interesting in the luxurious tree houses. Each unit stands on stilts above native manuka and kowhai trees. They were built with a combination of rough-sawn timber, copper, glass, and steel. Inside, no luxury is spared, with freestanding fireplaces, whirlpool baths, and elegant handmade furniture. Each unit has a wide-reaching view over olive groves (they make their own olive oil), down to the coast in the east, and the Seaward Kaikoura Ranges to the west. Also high up is the salubrious, stand-alone "Olive House Suite," with spacious dining, lounge and bedroom areas and 360 degree views.
- Address: State Hwy. 1 at Station Rd., 12 km (8 mi) north of Kaikoura Kaikoura, 7371 | Map It
- Phone: 03/319–6559; 0800/524–56872
- Website: www.hapukulodge.com
- Location: Kaikoura
- 2 lodge rooms, 2 lodge suites, 5 1- and 2-bedroom tree houses, 1 villa.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
I had a few extra days after a meeting in Christchurch to see some places I've missed in previous trips to NZ. Read more
My husband and I are going to be in New Zealand from March 19-26. Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more