- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
Hapuku Lodge and Tree Houses
At a Glance
- unique luxury accommodations
- surf out the back window and the snow out the front
- walking track down to the sea through the olive grove
- stay in the main lodge if you can't manage stairs
- no kids in the main lodge (but they're welcome in the tree houses)
Check Rates from our Partners
Hapuku Lodge and Tree Houses Review
Featuring imaginative use of timbers and finishings, the rooms in Hapuku's main lodge building are quietly tasteful, but out in the trees things get way more interesting in the luxurious tree houses. Each unit stands on stilts above native manuka and kowhai trees. They were built with a combination of rough-sawn timber, copper, glass, and steel. Inside, no luxury is spared, with freestanding fireplaces, whirlpool baths, and elegant handmade furniture. Each unit has a wide-reaching view over olive groves (they make their own olive oil), down to the coast in the east, and the Seaward Kaikoura Ranges to the west. Also high up is the salubrious, stand-alone "Olive House Suite," with spacious dining, lounge and bedroom areas and 360 degree views.
- Address: State Hwy. 1 at Station Rd., 12 km (8 mi) north of Kaikoura Kaikoura, 7371 | Map It
- Phone: 03/319–6559; 0800/524–56872
- Website: www.hapukulodge.com
- Location: Kaikoura
- 2 lodge rooms, 2 lodge suites, 5 1- and 2-bedroom tree houses, 1 villa.
- Rate includes breakfast, some meals.
- Credit cards accepted.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
We are a couple in our mid 60's taking our first trip to NZ & Australia.
Since we will be flying from Boston, USA, we will stay a night in LA and then on to Aukland. We are now thinking maybe one week Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more