- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
At a Glance
- Close to the fishing, hiking, and boating opportunities of Nelson Lakes National Park, as well as multiple mountain biking and 4WD trails. New owner and very friendly host Jennifer is gradually upgrading facilities
- B&B rooms are shared bathrooms
Check Rates from our Partners
This historic, 1887 cobb-built guesthouse overlooks the mountains, just a few kilometers from Lake Rotoiti. The house has a Category One historic rating so the B&B rooms in the main house, which feature their original cobb walls, cannot be altered to encompass ensuites. Thus guests are provided with bathrobes for walking to the shared bathrooms, just down the hallway. Four self-contained cottages are behind the house. A cafe here offers delicious home cooked lunches (Thur.–Mon. 10:30–6:30 in summer) and table d'hote dinners (Fri. and Sat. to the public in summer, bookings essential by 3pm.) Dinners can be arranged for house guests. Breakfasts are inclusive for those staying in the guesthouse itself, and can be pre-arranged for cottage guests. Check out the "smallest bar in New Zealand." The place is a hotbed of local history. Check out the bullet holes in the veranda ceiling, open fires, choice of modern cottages and period-style rooms in the main house.
- Address: 68 Tophouse Rd., 9 km (5½ mi) from St. Arnaud toward Nelson Nelson Lakes National Park, 7072 | Map It
- Phone: 03/5211848; 0800/544545
- Website: www.tophouse.co.nz
- Location: Nelson Lakes National Park
- 5 B&B rooms, 4 cottages.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Possibly late May/early June; check the website.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently returned from a visit down under and have posted a review of our cruise on that forum. Read more
I had a few extra days after a meeting in Christchurch to see some places I've missed in previous trips to NZ. Read more
We are tentatively planning a trip 'down under' for several weeks in March and April 2014. Read more
· News & Features
For ample beach time, minus the party scene, Cabo San Lucas is a bustling enclave with a marina, lots ... Read more
Author, conservationist, and TED Talk speaker Boyd Varty shares eight top places to visit in his native... Read more
This unattributed travel quote tells us why splurging on a trip is totally worth it.... Read more