At a Glance
- Close to the fishing, hiking, and boating opportunities of Nelson Lakes National Park, as well as multiple mountain biking and 4WD trails. New owner and very friendly host Jennifer is gradually upgrading facilities
- B&B rooms are shared bathrooms
This historic, 1887 cobb-built guesthouse overlooks the mountains, just a few kilometers from Lake Rotoiti. The house has a Category One historic rating so the B&B rooms in the main house, which feature their original cobb walls, cannot be altered to encompass ensuites. Thus guests are provided with bathrobes for walking to the shared bathrooms, just down the hallway. Four self-contained cottages are behind the house. A cafe here offers delicious home cooked lunches (Thur.–Mon. 10:30–6:30 in summer) and table d'hote dinners (Fri. and Sat. to the public in summer, bookings essential by 3pm.) Dinners can be arranged for house guests. Breakfasts are inclusive for those staying in the guesthouse itself, and can be pre-arranged for cottage guests. Check out the "smallest bar in New Zealand." The place is a hotbed of local history. Check out the bullet holes in the veranda ceiling, open fires, choice of modern cottages and period-style rooms in the main house.
- Address: 68 Tophouse Rd., 9 km (5½ mi) from St. Arnaud toward Nelson, Nelson Lakes National Park, 7072 | Map It
- Phone: 03/5211848; 0800/544545
- Website: www.tophouse.co.nz
- Location: Nelson Lakes National Park
- 5 B&B rooms, 4 cottages
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Possibly late May/early June; check the website.
View deals in Upper South Island and the West Coast for vacation packages, hotels, airfare, and more from our partners!More