- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At a Glance
- a hotbed of local history, check out the bullet holes in the veranda wall, choice of modern cottages and old-fashioned rooms in the main house
- no en suites in the B&B rooms
- breakfast included in B&B rooms only
This 124-year-old farm–guesthouse just a few kilometers from Lake Rotoiti gives you a chance to kick back and do absolutely nothing. The house has a historic rating so the no-frills B&B rooms in the main house are authentic but basic, complete with their original cob walls. The shared bathrooms are just down the hallway. Four self-contained cottages are behind the house. If you just want to stop for lunch (NZ$10–$20) or afternoon tea (NZ$8), there is café service during the day. Four course fixed menu dinner is available on request for NZ$49 per person. Tophouse is close to fishing, skiing (in winter), and hiking trails.
- Address: Tophouse Rd., 9 km (5½ mi) from St. Arnaud toward Nelson Nelson Lakes National Park, 7072 | Map It
- Phone: 03/5211848; 0800/544545
- Website: www.tophouse.co.nz
- Location: Nelson Lakes National Park
- 5 B&B rooms, 4 cottages.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
Hai everyone... I finally visited New Zealand... Yeay!!!! I am pretty proud of myself because I did all the driving and planning... We had 12 days journey in North Island from October 13 to October 24.. Read more
August 15-Sept 14, 2013
My love affair with the South Island of New Zealand continues. Read more
I am finalizing details on my trip to NZ, which is coming up in 2 weeks and would appreciate insight and feedback in finalizing activities and details on my itinerary. Read more
· News & Features
From milk and cookies to a full-on Christmas tree (with the option to decorate it yourself), hotels are... Read more
As 2013 comes to a close, there's no slowing down for the Bay Area's restaurant scene.... Read more
Visit the mysterious Land of the Golden Pagodas—Myanmar—with AmaWaterways, starting in Novembe... Read more