- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
At a Glance
- Close to the fishing, hiking, and boating opportunities of Nelson Lakes National Park, as well as multiple mountain biking and 4WD trails. New owner and very friendly host Jennifer is gradually upgrading facilities
- B&B rooms are shared bathrooms
Check Rates from our Partners
This historic, 1887 cobb-built guesthouse overlooks the mountains, just a few kilometers from Lake Rotoiti. The house has a Category One historic rating so the B&B rooms in the main house, which feature their original cobb walls, cannot be altered to encompass ensuites. Thus guests are provided with bathrobes for walking to the shared bathrooms, just down the hallway. Four self-contained cottages are behind the house. A cafe here offers delicious home cooked lunches (Thur.–Mon. 10:30–6:30 in summer) and table d'hote dinners (Fri. and Sat. to the public in summer, bookings essential by 3pm.) Dinners can be arranged for house guests. Breakfasts are inclusive for those staying in the guesthouse itself, and can be pre-arranged for cottage guests. Check out the "smallest bar in New Zealand." The place is a hotbed of local history. Check out the bullet holes in the veranda ceiling, open fires, choice of modern cottages and period-style rooms in the main house.
- Address: 68 Tophouse Rd., 9 km (5½ mi) from St. Arnaud toward Nelson Nelson Lakes National Park, 7072 | Map It
- Phone: 03/5211848; 0800/544545
- Website: www.tophouse.co.nz
- Location: Nelson Lakes National Park
- 5 B&B rooms, 4 cottages.
- Rate includes breakfast.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Possibly late May/early June; check the website.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
Okay, so I suck at packing.And I mess it up both ways: either too much or not enough. I never get it right. We have 5 weeks OZ/NZ (!) with 3 days in Hong Kong on the way. Destinations include Sydney, Uluru, Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence ... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more