- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's New Zealand
Kahikatea Flat DOC Campsite
Kahikatea Flat DOC Campsite Review
Kahikatea Flat, a delightful campground hidden in a beech forest clearing beside the Pelorus River, is part of a reserve. It's in a quiet spot where, most of the year, the loudest noises are made by the songster bellbirds—or by campers yelping when they jump into the not-always-so-warm river. A NZ$12 per person fee gets you a campsite, either with or without power, plus access to the very modern showers, kitchen, and dining area, which opens out to a deck beside the clear, running river. Locals love this place so book ahead over mid-summer. The river is the site of the famous "Barrel Scene" in the second Hobbit movie.
- Address: Pelorus Bridge, SH6, Rai Valley, Havelock, Marlborough, 7192
- Phone: 03/571–6019
- Location: Havelock
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Thank you to all the Fodorites who helped plan this trip of a lifetime. Read more
Since this board, especially Mel, was so helpful to me while I planned my trip I wanted to pay it forward and do a short trip report. Read more
We are a couple in our mid 60's taking our first trip to NZ & Australia.
Since we will be flying from Boston, USA, we will stay a night in LA and then on to Aukland. We are now thinking maybe one week Read more
· News & Features
Stunning beaches, tantalizing food, and veritable vino—we're all about epicurean excellence... Read more
A history of Moleskine notebooks and a blog for safari lovers are among the things we've been reading... Read more
Nassau is an easily accessible, fun-packed destination for adults and kids alike.... Read more