- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Picton lies at the head of Queen Charlotte Sound and is the arrival point for ferries from the North Island, and a modest number of international cruise ships. It provides services and transport by water taxi to remote communities in the vast area of islands, peninsulas, and waterways that make up the Marlborough Sounds Maritime Park.
Visitors traveling from the North Island can take the Interislander ferry from Wellington to Picton. One-way adult fare ranges from NZ$55 to $75. Ferries dock in Picton wharf. You can leave your rental vehicle in Wellington and pick up a new one in Picton.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand