- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dolphin Watch EcoTours. Swim with or watch dolphins from September through April. Rare Hector dolphins, bottlenose, dusky and common dolphins all frequent the stunning Marlborough Sounds. Visits from Orcas (killer whales) are another highlight. Or visit Motuara Island, an island wildlife reserve, to spy on seals, dolphins, and seabirds. Take a guided walk to the top of the island to see the shy native bush birds. Special departures on cruise ship days or by arrangement for groups of 8 or more. The Waterfront, Picton Foreshore, Picton, 7220. 03/5738040. www.naturetours.co.nz. Morning tours, NZ$165 to swim, NZ$100 viewing; guided walks, NZ$110. Morning tours depart 9am and run 2-4 hours; guided walks leave at 1:30pm (4 hrs).
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1120* & up -- New Zealand in 'Fall' from West Coast, R/T Air New Zealand