- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Marlborough Sounds have an excellent dive site in the Mikhail Lermontov; now recognized as one of the world's great wreck dives. In 1986, this massive Russian cruise ship sank on her side in 30 meters (100 feet) of water in Port Gore, on the edge of Cook Strait. (One life was lost.) The 200-meter-long (600-foot-long) ship is now an exciting dive site for anyone with moderate diving skills. September and October generally have the best visibility but the trips run all year.
Dive Boat Picton, Nine Dives. Swim with seals, dive on the wreck of the Russian cruise liner, Mikhail Lermontov, and other wrecks, and scuba and snorkel in Long Island Marine Reserve with this PADI-certified and Department of Conservation licensed company. You can dive with a qualified guide or just head down with a buddy. Picton. 0800/934–837. www.ninedives.co.nz.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's