- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The maritime township of Picton (population 4,000) is a popular yachting spot and has two sizable marinas, the smaller at Picton Harbour and the much larger at nearby Waikawa Bay. There's plenty to do in town, with crafts markets in summer, historical sites, and walking tracks to scenic lookouts over the sounds. The main foreshore is lined by London Quay, which looks up Queen Charlotte Sound to the bays beyond. High Street runs down to London Quay from the hills and the new Waterfront precinct and small boat terminals.
Picton at a Glance
Elsewhere in Upper South Island and the West Coast
- Abel Tasman National Park
- Around Nelson
- Golden Bay and Takaka
- Kahurangi National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's