- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Although it's 100 km (62 mi) from the nearest town Murchison is easy to access by road, sitting right on State Highway 6. It's a 1¾-hour drive south of Nelson, 4¼ hours north of Christchurch, and 1½ hours east of Westport (without scenic stops). It is one of only a couple of comfort and fuel stops on these long stretches so take advantage of its conveniences.
InterCity buses and Atomic Shuttles pass through daily. InterCity runs services between Nelson and Christchurch and Nelson and the glaciers. Both companies also run Nelson to the glaciers through Murchison as well.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's