- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
North of Westport, the coastline is squeezed between high mountain ranges and pounding surf. The highlight of the tiny settlements along this stretch is Karamea, known to most people as the southern entry to (or exit from) the renowned Heaphy Track, which starts in Golden Bay. But Karamea is also a fine trout-fishing destination, the western entry point to the wild ranges of the Kahurangi National Park with its wild rivers and network of hikes, and is home to the Oparara cave system.
Karamea at a Glance
Elsewhere in Upper South Island and the West Coast
- Abel Tasman National Park
- Around Nelson
- Golden Bay and Takaka
- Kahurangi National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's