- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
State Highway 1 runs right through Kaikoura, so the town is on the main road between Picton and Christchurch and the coastal route between Nelson and Christchurch. It's an easy 2½-hour drive south from Kaikoura to Christchurch and 1¾ hours north to Blenheim.
InterCity runs buses between Christchurch, Kaikoura, and Nelson a couple of times a day. In Kaikoura, southbound buses stop at the parking lot by the Craypot restaurant, northbound buses at the Sleepy Whale. Aside from tour buses, the only reliable local alternatives are Atomic Shuttles and Southern Link.
The TranzCoastal train follows the coast from Christchurch to Picton, meeting with the Interislander ferry at midday. It stops at Kaikoura both ways.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's