Upper South Island and the West Coast Hotels
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Upper South Island and the West Coast Hotel Reviews
Bed-and-breakfasts, farm stays, and homestays, all a variation on the same theme, abound in the South Island in some spectacular coastal and mountain environments. Your hosts will feed you great breakfasts and advise on where to eat and what to do locally. Other choices include luxury lodges and hotels, or inexpensive motel rooms and backpacker lodges. Accommodations often provide your morning coffee in a plunger (French press).
Locals generally take vacations from Christmas through January, so book early at these times. From March through November everything settles down, and in most towns you can book at short notice. The climate means that although heating is standard in virtually every room, very few places have air-conditioning, or need it.
Browse Upper South Island and the West Coast Hotels
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe